Skip to Content
Close Icon

The Dangers of Poisons with Children and How to Prevent Them

The Dangers of Poisons with Children and How to Prevent Them

National Poison Prevention Week is a week in March that highlights the dangers of poisonings and how you can prevent them. This is especially important if you have children in your house who love to explore and tend to get into anything that they can. This can be dangerous if you keep your cleaning supplies in a location that is easily accessible. If you are interested in learning about how you can keep your children safe and what to do if they do get ahold of poisons, continue reading.  

Staying Safe In Your Home 

There are a few ways in which you can keep your children safe and away from any harmful chemicals. First off, lock up any poisonous cleaning supplies in a cupboard, preferably one that is high up. When you are storing them, make sure to keep the poisons in the original container they came in with the label intact and do not transfer them into some other kitchen container. Also, do not mix chemicals - this is another way to stay safe as it can create a harmful gas.  

When you are using strong chemicals, make sure that your area is well ventilated by opening windows allowing fresh air to circulate. Also, do not allow strong chemicals to come in contact with you or your children's skin as it can be harmful. Finally, in order to keep everyone in your house, especially your children, safe, discard any old or outdated chemicals that you may have. 

What To Do If You Think Your Child Has Been Poisoned 

If you suspect that your child has been poisoned, the first thing to do is stay calm. The next thing you should do is call poison control to get a better handle on the situation. Before you call poison control, make sure you know basic information about the child that has been poisoned such as their age, height and weight. Also, make sure to have the label of the poison ready as well so you will be able to answer any questions they might have about what was ingested.  

With this week being National Prevention Week, it is as good of a time as any to start to educate yourself on the importance of keeping your house safe when it comes to poisons. Making sure that they are out of reach of your children and what to do when your child comes into contact with poison is extremely important. Check out our website or for information on LifeTech's services, contact us

0 comments

Denotes required fields

Aa Aa Aa